An organization of Cultural Arts and Development.
"A time to Dance...A Time to Speak"

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Monkey Bars: Risking Greatness

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that'snot what ships are for." William Shedd
Day #6 of Fasting/Praying and reading ONE MONTH TO LIVE. The quote above is one of the opening quotes of Chapter 6 Monkey Bars. I loved the opening story of his child who he lifted on the monkey bars and let go play on the bars by himself. When his son was tired the son said "Okay, get me down." The author told the child to let go and that he would be caught by the father. The child became worried and scared. When the child became tired and couldn't hold on anymore the father was right there and caught him. How often do I do the same...holding on...reluctant to take risks and let go and fall in the arms of the Lord. I think of how my family went through such pains to keep me safe (actually passing on their own fears), that I have lived so much of my life "playing it safe." What would my life had been like if I was more willing to take risks? I like the reminder of this chapter that some of the most successful people have gone through incredible failures prior to their success including Henry Ford and Oprah Winfrey. Henry Ford went bankrupt 5 times! So I guess it's time for me to "let go of the monkey bars." I need to handle my disappointments better. I'm sure there are a few things that I need to step out and risk. Time to face my fears. What am I waiting for???
Prayer tonight was sweet and loving. Friday night is the 7th day of prayer that will end with communion and prayer for our individual needs. May God be glorified. Didn't God say that if we believe we will see the glory of God? I am expecting to see His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment